Welcome to Day 1 of 7 Ways to Start 2017 Right. Over the next week we’ll be sharing some tips for preparing for 2017. Our hope is that you are able to use this week to rest, reflect, and recharge for the year ahead.
Before we can move forward into 2017, we need to spend some time looking back on 2016 and celebrating all we’ve achieved this year.
Have you heard this before? It’s so true! Reflection is an important step when beginning any new journey (as well as throughout the journey). It allows you to look deeply at where you’ve been and where you are starting. Reflection enhances your understanding of your past experiences, your reactions to words and events, and your true desires and goals. Reflection provides you the opportunity to adjust and alter your path and perspective when needed and to affirm that you are moving in the right direction. Reflection is an essential piece to learning and growing - becoming your best self.
Reflection is all about analyzing what has happened and deciding what can be learned, what needs to change, and what needs to be celebrated. Today we are going to spend time looking at what we can celebrate.
Take a look back at 2016. What were your goals? What did you hope to accomplish? Write them down. Don’t edit anything. At this point we are not worrying about whether you actually did any of these things, just that you wanted to do them.
Go do that now and come back when you are finished.
Now that you’ve written out all of your dreams and goals for 2016, it’s time to write out everything you actually accomplished. These could be little things or big things. Write it all down. Every little and big thing.
My list includes things like:
- Quit my job
- Started my own company
- Drank more water than coffee, tea, & soda (this was hard some days!)
- Read 20 books (my goal was 15)
- Took the 2nd Annual Little Black Dress Challenge and rocked it! (I think I looked better this year than last and I definitely felt better and liked myself better this year than last.)
- Learned a ton of business-y things (like budgets, using social media, invoicing, etc.)
- Hosted 3 classes on how to use essential oils & attended dozens
- Started taking daily supplements to support my wellness
- Completely overhauled my medicine cabinet (working toward a toxin free home)
- Took 7k steps per day (on average - I was up to 8k before I started working at home)
- Deep cleaned every part of my home at least once per month and did the normal cleaning at least once per week. (Oh man does it feel good to do this!)
- Did at least one beauty self-care activity per month (facials, massages, mani/pedis)
- And more!
After you’ve written out EVERYTHING you’ve accomplished this year (and I mean everything). It’s time to celebrate!
Decide how you want to reward yourself for achieving all of this. For some of your goals, you may have already decided on a reward, especially if you . You can choose to stick with that reward or pick another - who’s going to stop you?!
Here are some tips on picking your reward:
- Pick something that really feels special and personal to you.
- Pick something you wouldn’t normally do or buy.
- Try to stay away from food-related rewards. (We’ll be talking about why in 2017.)
- Pick something that is equal to the achievement. (You wouldn’t want to use a big reward for a small achievement.)
No go on and decide your reward and get to celebrating all you’ve done this year!! You rocked so many things this year and you deserve to take some time to celebrate!
Wait - what about all of the things you didn't do this year? Don't worry, we've got your back! Come back tomorrow as we talk everything else on your goals list and why it’s a good thing that you didn’t get them done.
Join us the rest of this week for Parts 2-7 of 7 Ways to Start 2017 Right.
Want to have each post delivered straight to your inbox?