Holy cow, girl! It’s already Day 6 of our 7 Ways to Start 2017 Right and the last day of 2016! We’ve covered several strategies to get yourself ready for the new year. Today we wanted to remind you of something. In the midst of all your planning and achieving (which we know you are going to ROCK!), it’s important to pause and do something for yourself.
Self-care is an important aspect of success. We’ve said it before we we mean it - you can’t fill anyone else’s cup if your cup is empty. We recently wrote a blog post all about what self-care is (and isn’t). You can check it out HERE. Today we wanted to give you some ideas for practicing self-care - 101+ of them! This isn't even close to an all-inclusive list. It’s meant more as a springboard for you to get started making your own personal list.
Not everything on this list will work for everyone. Give them a try. Keep what makes you happy and forget the rest. A big part of self-care is understanding that it is personal. What works for me may not work for you. For instance, going for a run isn’t necessarily my idea of self-care, but doing yoga is. Reading fiction books is relaxing to me, but not for Laura.
Lastly, have fun with this. Self-care is all about taking care of YOU. Filling your cup first so that you have something to give to those around you. Try to do at least one thing just for yourself each and every day. I promise, you’ll be amazed at the difference it makes!
- Go for a walk
- Spend some time in the sun
- Go for a run
- Go for a bike ride
- Go for a hike
- Blast your tunes (and sing and dance at the same time!)
- Do some yoga (I love doing a few Sun Salutations first thing in the morning and about mid-afternoon for a quick pick-me-up)
- Go ice skating
- Play a sport
- Take a bath
- Do or get a facial
- Get your hair done
- Get a massage
- Do a sugar scrub
- Do a foot soak
- Snuggle with your furbaby or kids (or both!)
- Snuggle with your significant other
- Get a manicure
- Get a pedicure
- Diffuse some essential oils/incense
- Burn a candle
- Drink a cup of tea (herbal is best for relaxing)
BE STILL & PRESENT
- Pause and be still for 5 minutes (or even 1 minute!)
- Sit in nature - listen to the birds and insects, the wind
- Other Spiritual work
- Eat a meal without working or checking your phone
- Turn off your phone and email for one night (or even just an hour)
- Take 10 deep breaths - not only will this help you relax, but it will also get more oxygen to your brain allowing you to focus and be more productive when you return to your tasks
- Pay attention to a routine task, like brushing your teeth, really notice it and be present
- Pick something that’s been on your to-do list for awhile and finally do it
- Say “Thank You”
- Do something nice for someone for no reason
- Give someone a compliment
DO SOMETHING JUST FOR YOU or JUST BECAUSE IT’S FUN
- Read a book
- Go on a picnic
- Go to the movie (with someone or by yourself)
- Go to a sporting event
- Go to a concert
- Listen to a podcast
- Watch your favorite TV show (Gilmore Girls anyone??)
- Plan a getaway & do it!
- Play an instrument
- Wear something pretty
- Use fancy shampoo or body wash - I love to pick up trial sizes for this
- Treat Yo’self! to something special or fancy - maybe a treat, maybe a piece of clothing you’ve been eyeing, maybe a new notebook
- Go to a therapist - Therapy isn’t just for when you are feeling “off,” it’s for everyone all the time. Therapy can and should be used as part of your regular preventative wellness routine. Therapists can help you work through your thoughts, recognize your blocks, and learn to truly love yourself. Some insurance plans will even pay for a certain number of sessions each year!
- Journal - keep a record of the day, your thoughts, your feelings
- Do a brain dump - get all your random thoughts out and on paper.
- Write a piece of fiction
- Write a poem
- Write a letter to yourself about all the negative things you think or feel. Read it and then burn it (safely!). Then immediately do the next item...
- Write a letter to yourself about why you are awesome. Frame this and read it every day.
GET YOUR CREATIVITY ON
- Take photos
- Learn origami
- Pick something on Pinterest and try it
CONNECT WITH OTHERS
- Call a friend
- Write a letter to a friend #snailmailforthewin
- Call your siblings
- Call your parents
- Call your grandparents
- Get lunch with a friend
- Share your emotions with someone and ask them to do the same
- Say “I Love You”
- Ask for help - reach out when you need it.
- Smile and say “Hi” to a stranger
- Have people over to your place
CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE
- Set a new goal and a plan of action to make it happen
- Practice Positive Thinking
- Say “I’m Sorry” and mean it
- Forgive yourself
- Forgive someone else
- Get out of your comfort zone
- Do a “Beauty Scavenger Hunt” - look for 3-5 unexpected but beautiful things around you. This is great to do when you wake up or on your morning commute
- “Mute” negative people on your social media (or delete them all together!)
- Talk to yourself like your best friend would (get rid of that head trash!)
- Pay attention and congratulate yourself on your little wins throughout the day (You got out of bed today, go you! You put on matching socks, you rock girl! You made it to work on time and didn’t spill any coffee, heck yes!)
- Notice your emotions (don’t judge them, just acknowledge them. You can’t do anything about them until you know what they are and where they are coming from.)
- Write and say your affirmations aloud (learn how to write affirmations here).
DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH
- Go to bed early
- Let yourself sleep in
- Make yourself a wellness kit
- Take your multivitamin - women should be taking a multivitamin with folate (not folic acid) and calcium.
- Go get your yearly check-up
- Get your teeth cleaned
- Eat as much raw food as possible (in lots of colors). Think farmer’s market foods. This will reduce your consumption of chemicals & hormones that are added to processed and packaged foods.
- Drink an extra glass of water every day
- Meal plan - pick your meals for the week ahead of time. You’ll thank yourself when you come home from work and don’t have to “think” about dinner.
- Meal prep - If you’re really on the ball, you can prep all the ingredients for the meal too. Chop up veggies and portion them out, thaw out your meat, portion out your snacks for grab-n-go options .
- Clean out and donate things from your closet - try to get rid of at least 10 items.
- Declutter your office
- Make your space comfortable - add colors and soft fabrics
- Organize your junk drawer (and consider getting rid of a lot of it!)
- Rearrange your closet - try grouping by colors or by clothing type (tanks, blouses, sweaters, etc.)
- Organize your spaces so things are easy to find and easy to reach
I hope these ideas help you get started on your journey of self-care. We are so much happier when we remember to practice self-care on a regular basis - and we know you will be too!
Join us tomorrow for the last day of 7 Ways to Start 2017 Right.
Want to have great content like like this delivered straight to your inbox? PLUS get early access to new content, products, and d